Re: [K12OSN] Modem autodial when web browser is launched.

Bert Rolston wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> I know this isn't really LTSP related, but I thought someone on the list
> may have an answer.
>
> Is it possible to get the modem dialer to launch automagically when you
> start Mozilla. Sort of the same way M$ IE launches the dialer in
> Windoze?
>
> At present I am using the RH Network Monitor app in KDE 3.0 to make the
> modem connect, then I launch Mozilla. This is on a desktop computer, not
> a server.
>
> Personally this doesn't bother me, but it would make life a lot easier
> for my dad and step-mother.
>
> Thanks,
> Bert

Both diald and pppd support demand dialing features. pppd is the easiest
to set up in my experience but diald has by far the best control over
what traffic brings the line up and when it goes down. Either method can
be used on just a single box to automatically control the modem or on a
gateway box to control the modem for a shared network. I also remember
reading about a package that was a two piece client/server sort of thing
that utilized a user controlled client piece to control the server piece
which controlled the modem but I can't remember where - it's been
awhile. I'm not sure that method would allow one to just fire up a
browser to work though.

--
Mike Rambo
mrambo lsd k12 mi us