Re: [K12OSN] Modem autodial when web browser is launched.

Here is a brief cookbook for setting up autodialing with pppd.  Note
that once setup, this is very automatic.  To get it to stop, you have to
kill pppd.  It will dial for any traffic that is destined outside your
network.  It plays well with iptables, so if you tell iptables NOT to
forward anything with a local destination, you should be fine.  It is also
rock solid.  You will need to adjust the setserial line and ttys of course.

This line goes at the bottom of /etc/rc.d/rc.local

-----
#!/bin/sh
#
# This script will be executed *after* all the other init scripts.
# You can put your own initialization stuff in here if you don't
# want to do the full Sys V style init stuff.

touch /var/lock/subsys/local
# You may need this to set the modem up
setserial /dev/ttyS3 irq 7 spd_vhi
/usr/sbin/pppd file /etc/ppp/autoopts.el
-----

All of these files are in /etc/ppp

autoopts.el (or whatever you want to call it)
-----
# debug
asyncmap 0
# modem
# crtscts
mru 576
mtu 576
lock
defaultroute
demand
idle 900
persist
noipdefault
ipcp-accept-local
ipcp-accept-remote
user "username_at_isp"
# This is the reference in chaps.secret and paps.secret
remotename chap_reference
ttyS3 115200 crtscts
connect '/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/ppp/call.el'
-----

call.el
-----
ABORT 'BUSY'
ABORT 'NO ANSWER'
ABORT 'NO CARRIER'
ABORT 'NO DIALTONE'
'' ATZ
OK 'ATM0'
OK 'ATDT1234567'
\r\n \c
CONNECT  \c
-----

And then the right stuff in chap-secrets and pap-secrets, which is

"isp username" ref_from_above passwd *

Jim Wildman, CISSP                                      jim rossberry com
http://www.rossberry.com