[K12OSN] gigabit nic causes hardfreeze in RedHat 8.0........was RedHat 8.0and SMP Freeze

this clued me in, that is what we had in common...the gigabit nic.
all systems had a gigabit nic,
yanked them out,
and all working fine now.
who'd have thought....
anyone know if this is in bugzilla, or seen this in the kernel mailing list?

Paul Satherley wrote:

Barry Smoke wrote:

I just want to ask the group if anyone has experienced their machine hard freezing with redhat 8.0, and an SMP kernel.
I have calmly waited through 2 kernel upgrades, to see if any of them solve the problem, which neither have.
It is only with SMP kernel, non-SMP works fine.
This has been verified on 3 computers....2 dual athlon machines, and one P4(XEON) Server.

I have searched bugzilla, and come up empty for the problem even being reported, but every redhat 8.0 machine I install, hard freezes, and you have to hit the power button to re-boot.....and if you want it to be stable, boot into the non-smp kernel.

I'm starting to think I'm crazy.....but it is very frustrating.

Barry Smoke
District Network Administrator
Bryant Public Schools
Bryant, AR
RHCE

I've had the same problem...I thought it was my setup with gigabit ethernet card that was causing problems..
I didn't think that my dual P3 500 was maybe the problem!!
works fine on RH 7.3 LTSP v 2.x.x