Re: [K12OSN] How to make K12LTSP accessible via Internet

Hi jeffr,

Thanks for your response and multiple suggestions

At 03:39 PM 12/3/2002 -0600, jeffr odeon net wrote:

At this stage it would probably be very useful for the original poster to
explain what sort of file sharing they are looking for.

While traveling abroad, making use of his notebook and a telephone cable to go to the remote user's home directory in the server with password to view and retrieve his own files

it's fairly easy to let people grab files via http/https. Providing people with files via
https is arguably the easiest and most secure method.

Could you please explain in more detail. K12osn is not a web server without Apache and PHP installed

Easiest to use, not
necessarily the easiest to set up.  Still, a little PHP/Zope/Tomcat/etc.
work may provide a robust solution.

I have heard Tomcat before but never use it. Zope is new to me.

FTP is another (arguably bad) method of sharing files.  I say bad because
it's not secure (passes authentication information in clear text) and it's
a pain to filewall (due to it's multi-port nature, and lets just avoid the
whole active vs. passive issue).

Yes, you are right. FTP is easy to setup. It is not my choice.

- snip -

There are a multitude of other options. SCP comes to mind,

What is SCP? Is it reliable and easy to setup.

Thanks in advance.

B.Regards
Stephen Liu

as do others.
The bulk of these don't require anything extra to be installed on your
LTSP server.  They may or may not require software on the client side (the
machine you're connecting to the server from).

As I said, the right solution is going to depend on exactly what the
original poster is trying to accomplish.  If they just need to let a
student send an assignment home, then an attachment to an e-mail may even
be the right way to transfer (small) files from an account on an LTSP
server to an off-site (i.e., not on the lan/wan) system.

Jeff