Re: [K12OSN] How to make K12LTSP accessible via Internet

Stephen Liu wrote:

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your response.

I have thought some more about this.

This is what I do right now.

On the Linux System you require access to, install 'putty.exe' on the webserver. Put 'putty.exe' somewhere where it is not particularly clear.

I have no home page installed on my system, just the apache test page, so it looks like there is nothing installed on this webserver. However, putty.exe is there and I know where.

When I would like to access my system with a windows PC, I point the windows browser at http://my-linux-server.com/putty.exe and putty loads and executes on the windows box. I select ssh, enter my login details and click 'connect' and I am logged in. 8-)

If I would like to access my home system from a remote Linux PC, I just use ssh directly from the bash shell, and I am connected.

If I would like to copy a file from my Linux Server to a remote PC, I use 'scp' or login as above, and send myself an email with the file attached.

I would definitely not open my firewall to anything other, except ssh, ftp, or http.

All these facilities are standard on K12LTSP v2.1, and maybe for v3.0 as well.

Check your firewall settings for ssh. In the file /etc/sysconfig/ipchains you should have a line like this ;

-A input -s 0/0 -d 0/0 22 -p tcp -j ACCEPT

Port 22 is for ssh. If you have to add this line, remember to restart the ipchains service - # service ipchains restart

kind regards, Steve