Re: [K12OSN] How to make K12LTSP accessible via Internet

I'm currently using dyndns.org to allow me to maintain a test server at home behind a broadband router. Several of the dyndns clients use a web detection feature to detect your internet IP. This is really the only way I could ever communicate with my server since it's behind a firewall with only the ssh port forwarded to the server. It has worked quite well for me.

Paul V.

From: Garret <admin ruffdogs com>
Yep, if you do use a dynamic ip addressing system you would end up with
a host name of something like yourserver.dydns.org (I believe). You'll
place their software on your server, and it will always keep your
dynamic IP assigned to that hostname, so yes, kio_fish still works.

How we set our systems up . . .

Internet

Router

E-smith server (gateway and firewall). Comes with I believe a number of
Dynamic hosting service clients, and allows you to set up quite easily.
E-smith also has a great e-mail server system. We port forward port 22
from the e-smith machine to the LTSP server on the inside.

LTSP Server

IN Konqueror with kio_fish installed, the url is like
fish://username hostname com/home/username/

Like a charm. :-)

You can reach me off list also if you need.
garret ruffdogs com

Garret