Re: [K12OSN] How to make K12LTSP accessible via Internet

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your detail advice.

On Sat, 2002-12-07 at 02:05, Steve Wright wrote:
- snip -

> You will need some scripts to detect if your IP address has changed, and
> run again the update client script to make sure your IP address is
> corectly registered.

What scripts shall I use for this purpose?  Is it 'ipcheck'mentioned
below?  Can I find these scripts from Internet on search.  Or just from
Console window to find out the IP address of the broadband and notify
myself on email?

> Does your ISP really change your IP address every 3-4 hours ?  or only
> when you do a new connect ?  This may confuse the update script, and you
> will have to work around that, but I hope not.

Yes, in past the broadband provider maintained this way.  Because of
many complaint from subscribers he agreed to make change that new IP
shall be assigned to each new connection.  I will find out later.  In
the worst case if it is can we have some other ways to get through.

> I use dyndns.org and the 'ipcheck' script and it works well.
>
> Be careful that your update script does not update with the service
> provider excessively, or they will terminate your service.  I cannot
> recommend any other update client except 'ipcheck' for this reason.
>  Some update scripts behave very badly and abuse the servers.
>
> I am familiar with DynDNS and ipcheck, and I have no problems.. so if
> you have difficulty with these, please ask and I can assist further.

Noted and thanks for your assistance offered

B.Regards
Stephen Liu