Re: [K12OSN] Mozilla & xinetd updates

On Thu, 5 Dec 2002, michihito matsubara wrote:

>Nice to meet you Eric and all of you in this list.
>I'm a publisher of K12LTSP-jp
>and one of non-western portions of the globe too.

Welcome!

>I have alrady subscribed here but there is a poor english only I have 8-)
>There is a very different between Translation and Talking.

Yesterday I gave a presentation to high-ranking school officials from
schools all over the United States. (http://www.aesa.org)

I mentioned that using free software has effectively expanded our (MESD's)
talent pool to a global scale. Someone in the audience asked how we
communicate with non-English speaking countries. I said something to the
affect* of "yes, people in other countries do have difficulty reading
lousy American English". The joke didn't go over very well in that
particular crowd ;-)

* common grammatical error to illustrate the point

>On Tue, 3 Dec 2002 21:30:31 -0800 (PST)
>Eric Harrison <eharrison mail mesd k12 or us> wrote:
>
>> Along the same lines, I've seen a huge number of downloads of the last
>> K12LTSP 3.0 beta - mostly from non-western portions of the globe. How is
>> it working for you guys, especially those of you who are not defaulting
>> to an english-biased locale?
>
>Were they coming from my site? check their referer in your httpd_log.
>Maybe so, 'Cause I put a News on my top page about new 3.0 beta has released.
>
>I don't know how many people using K12LTSP in Japan.
>No result from google except my site
>So none using K12LTSP in Japan, I think.

Very few hits in my logs from Japan.

A large number of the entries in my logs are IP address with no reverse
lookup. One of these days when I have a spare minute and the urge to tinker
around, I'll whip up a script that generates how many downloads I've seen
on a per-country basis. Since my site is only one of many mirrors, it won't
be accurate, but it would be interesting.

>They lived in Japan don't know any information about K12LTSP.
>So I have started translating it into Japanese to tell what is K12LTSP.

Thank you for your contribution!

>Well, K12LTSP 2.1.x and 3.0.x works fine as a client.
># Not yet tested as a server criticaly.
>
>Only one problem is "less" in 2.1.x.
>This pckage has dropped NLS patch by RedHat, as you know.
>This non-pached less can displey Japanese-character (ja_JP.eucJP) in console,
>and I can see Japanese messages such as "rpm -qi xxx.src.rpm".
>But can't display file written in Japanese.
>
>This is a very FAQ in Japan (maybe as well as other 2byte people).
>Now I am distributing patched less for 2.1.x and RedHat7.3
>with extended lesspipe.sh from my site.
>
>Less included in K12LTSP 3.0 is OK same as RedHat8.0.
>Patch is back.
>
>And other problem is fonts.dir file.
>But now I'm not sure about this.
>If I find it clealy, I tell you more.

If these fixes do not have any negative side-effects, I can add it to the
next build of 2.1.x.

Does the font problem impact 3.0 as well?

-Eric