[K12OSN] connection is up, but attempts to access the internet all fail

My first request for assistance with this issue was summarily ignored.
I'm a little stupefied.  I have never been just ignored, no matter how stupid
my questions were...
In any case.  I have built a box out of spare parts and it is up and running
with our k12os 2.0 (RH 7.3).  I had difficulty connecting to the internet via my
DSL connection.
Since my first request for assistance, I recalled that in the 7.2 based k12 the roaring penguins pppoe software was required, so I downloaded it and moved it over to the other machine (floppy) and installed it.  Then I ran adsl-setup again.  Now it says to run
/usr/sbin/adsl-start instead of /sbin/ifup eth0 to connect.
So, I run /adsl-start and it says "Connected!"
Yeah!!!
but, wait...don't get excited so quickly...
When I try to access the internet from any of the browsers here (Moz, Konq, Gal),
every attempt gives an invalid host or file not found, as though I am not
connected at all.  /adsl-status indicates that the connection is up, but attempts
to access the internet all fail.
An attempt to run /sbin/ifup eth0 still indicates failure to determine an ip.  (server assigned/dynamic)
I'd like to set this box up as a homelan server/router but it won't work it it can't connect.
I am supposed to be contributing to my school's upgrade to linux, but if I can't get this to work at home, I'm doomed at school.
Please help.

Whaddayathink?

tony

http://www.School-Library.net