Re: [K12OSN] blocking browsers + squidguard

On Mon, 9 Dec 2002, Steve Wright wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I just read something interesting ;
>
>//iptables in the 2.4.x kernels have the ablility to account (and
>block/rate limit) IP traffic by uid and by gid.//

Correct, but this particular feature is not compiled in by default (at least
on Red Hat kernels, haven't looked at other distros' configs recently)

To enable this would require a recompile and perhaps a patch. Not something
joe average is going to do.

>I tested iptables, but had kernel failures when the firewall was scanned heavily.

We've had iptables in production for a long time w/o a single failure.

-Eric