Re: [K12OSN] Software RAID

On Fri, 6 Dec 2002, James Jensen wrote:

>I wonder how the new WD HDD's with 8mb cache would fair in a software RAID
>array.  They're pretty speedy drives.  Has anyone tried?

Last night I checking out how this drive ranks against SCSI drives
on storagereview.com.

The WD is the fastest IDE drive, the Maxtor Atlas 10k IV is the fastest
10K SCSI drive, and the Seagate Cheetah 15K.3 is the fastest 15K SCSI
drive.

WD:	     http://www.storagereview.com/articles/200210/20021018WD2000xB_1.html
Maxtor:  http://www.storagereview.com/articles/200211/200211258B146L0_1.html
Seagate: http://www.storagereview.com/articles/200209/20020901ST373453LW_1.html

For file server I/O performance: (which is probably most important for K12LTSP)

	WD:      129
	Maxtor:  271  (2.1x faster than the WD)
	Seagate: 345  (2.7x faster than the WD)

Price-wise:

    WD:      200G runs about $399
    Maxtor:   36G runs about $220  (3x more expensive per meg than the WD)
    Seagate:  36G runs about $360  (5x more expensive per meg than the WD)

-Eric