[K12OSN] Re: K12OSN digest, Vol 1 #633 - 15 msgs

>Message: 2
>Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2002 09:08:52 +0000
>From: Bert Rolston <bert rolston clear net nz>
>Subject: Re: [K12OSN] connection is up, but attempts to access the internet	all
> fail
>To: K12OSN <k12osn redhat com>
>
>Hi Anthony,
>
>Let me get this straight.
>
>You have an ADSL modem (internal or external?) connected to the internet
>The machine you are having problems with is connected to the ADSL modem.
>
>I take it you aren't going through a proxy.
>
>Are you using the K12LTSP cds or a straight Redhat distro?

Okay,  I used the k12ltsp cds.
I have simply tried to connect my Frnakenstein box, here, directly to the
internet with an external DSL modem, provided by my internet provider.
I am using the very same modem presently to connect from my other monster, a PC that I have built, as well, running Psyche from the redhat cds.  I used to run the k12ltsp 1.0 on the box I am presently writing on, as well.  So I have connected through this modem with several distros, but not on the machine in question.  Previously when I tried to upgrade from the k12ltsp 1.0 to the 2.0 on my main box (this one on which I am typing) I had the same issues (eventually upgraded to Psyche instead).
So, the issue seems to be in the k12ltsp 2.0 (rh 7.3 based version) as far as I can tell.  Like, perhaps I ahve done somethig incorrectly.  However, I set up the connection much the same as I did when using the k12ltsp 1.0, and psyche.
I don't have any IP addresses to give, becuase the ip is server assigned/dynamic.
I have not networked these machines yet, although I have been sharing an internet connection from my main box (this one) and my iBOOK, through a copmaq iPaq switch.
I did try to connect through the switch on the new little monster....Hmmm...
Maybe I should go directly to the modem.
If I can get this to work, I would go directly from the modem to the new box, then out to the switch to network the main box and iBook together.
But first, I just want to the this little monster to connect, then I will worry about  configuring the rest of this little lan party.
I have not done this previously and have no real experience developing a network, so I am going slowly.  I don't even know what netmasks are, really...
Another thing that may be relevant is that I have not installed an ethernet card in to this new machine, but used a mobo that had it onboard.
I set up the firewall to the "1" setting when setting up the connection, same as I have on this machine I am using now.

Tony