Re: [K12OSN] Boot terminals from HD?

Letting the terminals have hard-drives is far from defeating the object of them being dumb terminals. They are only dumb in the sense that the processing of the data is done at the server end. To allow a computer to act as either a dumb terminal, allowing access to the linux system and all corresponding data, whilst also being but a simple re-boot away from having windows or another operating system is an excellent use of the available hardware.

I'm going to sit down to the NT 4.0 machines in the lab I am going to be converting, and attempt to modify the system to the point where they can dual boot between NT 4.0 and the Linux Boot Rom.

From: Utsav Pardasani <pardasaniman yahoo com>
To: k12osn redhat com
Subject: Re: [K12OSN] Boot terminals from HD?
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 12:55:35 -0800 (PST)

Actually, I was thinking of something similar, but along the lines of instead of downloading a
kernel, why not have an entire filesystem Hard Disk and have it do an X -broadcast. It can't be
more than 10-20mbs and would save the server significant bandwidth.

Although having a hard disk does defeat the purpose of having a "dumb terminal"