[K12OSN] 0-character length password

How does one allow a new user's default password to be zero characters in length?

I have changed the PASS_MIN_LEN from 5 to 0 in the /etc/login.defs file and changed the "Minimum length" value from 6 to 0 in the "Password & account policies" area within Linuxconf 1.29.  To no avail.

When I attempt to create a new user using "Red Hat User Manager" and leave the "Password" and "Confirm Password" fields blank, it responds with the message "Warning: Please enter a password for the user."  If I attempt to change an existing user's password to zero-length using the passwd command, I get the message: "BAD PASSWORD: it's WAY too short."

My testing shows that the system is still requiring a password with a minimum length of six characters.  What am I missing?

Thanks much.

Larry Mateo
Network Technician II
Fairfield-Suisun Unified School District
larrym fsusd k12 ca us