Re: [K12OSN] Frustration

You are absolutely right.  This is the steep part of the learning curve.
You have to learn enough to survive without getting discouraged until
you know enough to understand.

It is really hard to learn Unix by dog paddling.  You either have to
learn with a buddy, or jump in sink or swim.

In all seriousness, you have the book.  It's called man, and its
companion volumes are /usr/share/doc and the howto's linked off of
linux.org or any of the other documentation sites.  I've been using Unix
since 1985, and I still learn by reading the man pages and howto's, by
shoulder surfing and filing away hints.  Maybe the 3rd or 4th time I
read something, it will light up with something I learned a year ago and
then it's mine, all mine!  Neat feeling when it happens.

I have one friend (one of the most systematic people I know) who began
his Unix indoctrination by buying a copy of the man pages (about
1500-2000 pages I believe) and reading ALL of them.

So my recommendation is start with the man page of something you know or
think  you know.  Read it.  Read it again, then read all of the man pages
listed under "See Also".  Make sure you understand it by using it.  Then
start with another thread.

Jim Wildman, CISSP                                      jim rossberry com
http://www.rossberry.com