Re: [K12OSN] Frustration

On Mon, 9 Dec 2002, Jim Wildman wrote:

> I have one friend (one of the most systematic people I know) who began
> his Unix indoctrination by buying a copy of the man pages (about
> 1500-2000 pages I believe) and reading ALL of them.

heh -- pleased to know that I am considered systematic.  I
actually bought TWO doco printouts -- once called 'Doctor
Linux - New 4th Edition' copyright 1996, publisher: LSL and
Red Hat Software, Inc., running 1589 pages -- $39.95 -- copy
in my lap as I type this -- containing all the administrator
guides from the era; and a separate one, again by LSL, with just man
pages; I also counted 19 O'Reilly books in the bookshelf,
just now.

I am fortunate to live near the prime store of 'Microcenter'
-- which has a superb 'remaindered' books wall -- so long as
you can read last year's version, and the man pages to catch
details which have changed; and have a wall of hardware and
boxed of hard drives, each duly marked, with various
installations, the penalty for experimentation is nil.  I
don't sleep much <smile>

I had to replace a RHL 6.1 mailserver with a harddrive with
the 'click o' death' last Wednesday -- I just pulled the
reference drive, and a couple of blank drives, and had rsynced
the replacement, updated everything, and was back in business
before lunch.

-- Russ Herrold