Re: [K12OSN] 0-character length password

On Mon, 9 Dec 2002 19:14:44 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Dec 2002, Larry Mateo wrote:
>
> >How does one allow a new user's default password to be zero characters
> >in length?
>
> Just out of curiosity, why do you want a null password? That makes it
> a public account, which is generally considered to be a problem.
>
> The system tries to make it really hard to do this. You can run
> "password <username>" as root and just hit the enter key twice. This
> will create a "locked" account. You can then unlock it:
>
> 	passwd -u -f <username>
>
> The "-u" means to unlock the account, the "-f" is a FORCE flag required
> by the fact that there is no password on the account.
>
> After that the account will be accessible without a password.

I'm working on a simular thing for an informations-terminal, running
off an ltsp server.

I require a ws to automatically logon to the server when booted. Then
only thing the ws should be doing is show a webpage, witch is
automaticaly updated every xx seconds.

My idea was to
1) do an automatic logon in that MAC-address
2) Startup a browser at http:/server/info-page.php
3) let the page refresh every xx seconds using meta-tags
4) let the user use the mouse to select certain sub-pages.
4.1) set refresh to xx seconds for http:/server/info-page.php
5) get a screensaver-event to redirect to http:/server/info-page.php
after yy minuts of idle-ness

It should maybe be said that the primary use of the system will only
have a very limityed audiense, but I'd like on occation to setup more
terminals using the concept for a broader audiense.

--
Venlig hilsen / Best regards
	Henning

 _H_P_C_o_n_s_u_l_t_    http://www.hpc.dk