Re: [K12OSN] booting terminals as kiosks was: 0-character length password

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002 07:00:07 +1300, you wrote:

> If you need *only* a web browser, you will be much more secure to not
> log them in at all..  8-)

Yup

> would it be ideal if you could ;
>
> 1.)  boot a diskless client
> 2.)  load a a local GUI on it
> 3.)  load up netscape/mozilla/konqueror/whatever
> 4.)   err, that's it !

Sounds like a even better idea ;-)

> What you will have, is no one logged in to your precious Server, and a
> browser running..  From the perspective of security, once a cracker is
> logged-in as one of your users, the quest for 'root' is mostly won.

Seems reasonable.

> I think this is called a kiosk.  Perhaps search google for "kiosk howto"
> as I recall there was an in-depth article on it.

Just tried - lots of hits.
Will look into them at a later time.

> <OT>
> I have been aware from some time, that K12LTSP has the opportunity, and
> often the requirement to boot other 'appliances' than just terminals.
>
> If folks have modified configs such as /etc/dhcpd.conf to boot preset
> machines as 'special' configurations, viz, kiosks, firewalls, and other

I've actially been think about that too ;-) - espesially the fire-wall
thing, and as mentioned earlier a system of automatic infoscreens

> little pieces of trickery, I wonder if they would describe them?  We
> could perhaps place these options (commented out) in dhcpd.conf, so they
> bring such a machine into service simply by uncommenting a line in a
> config file..

Would be nice. If I get it up and running I'll publish the results.

--
Venlig hilsen / Best regards
	Henning

 _H_P_C_o_n_s_u_l_t_    http://www.hpc.dk