Re: [K12OSN] Boot terminals from HD?

Hi John,

> Here's the situation. Our PK-8 school just had 205 Small form factor
> Compaq PII's 366 MHz and better donated to it. They are due to arrive
> the 2nd week of January.
>
> They all have W2K pre-loaded and come with the MS OS Licenses. This
> donation will put 6 networked PCs in every classroom (As you can imagine
> the school is very charged up about this.) This also will replace the
> Pentium 133's that are being used as K12LTSP terminals in our lab.
<SNIP>
> So I will now be supporting 205 W2k and 50 W95 Desktops. The Lab will be dual
> boot. It remains to be seen what will happen out in the classrooms.

You poor thing.

Do you know how to use MS policy editor?

Does your school have an SMS server, or some other way to re-image
machines quickly when Windows breaks?

How much MS system specific training do you have?

I was looking after approx 100 W95/8 machines. The school only employed
me for 30 hrs.

That, plus adding users to the network on a regular basis, trying to fix
broken machines as they came up, regularly upgrading the school admin
software, updating anti-virus, lot of ad-hoc user support and most of
the software we used.

I never actually had time to automate some of the tasks!

> It is important to me that we keep K12LTSP on the desktop. Having a good
> way to dual boot will be critical to this out in the classrooms. I am
> installing StarOffice as the standard office suite and adding Mozilla or
> Netscape and the Gimp to the W2K side. This will add some continuity
> across OS's. Given the choice of which OS to use while working with
> Office apps or Web Browsing I am thinking/hoping K12LTS will be the
> preferred choice.
>
> To quote my wife who was the Tech Coordinator until the budget cut:
> "Is this the end of the Terminal Project at St. Mary's?"
>
> Well I hope not. I think things are moving along quite well with
> K12LTSP.
>
> How irksome and time consuming it's going to be to maintain all these
> standalone boxes.

That's where the K12LTSP system will shine. Change it once at the server
and everyone should see the changes.

> Hmm... makes me wonder, "What is the standard ratio of PCs to Tech
> Personnel?"

Something like 1 tech to 30 - 50 win boxes or 1 tech to 60 MACs.

The PC ratio was better in the bad old DOS days!

> John

Good luck, you're going to need it.

Cheers,
Bert