Re: [K12OSN] 0-character length password

Eric: Thanks for the reply.  I will give it a try.  I agree that
password-less accounts aren't the best way to go.  We're implementing
this in various small lab environments at an elementary school, so we
want things to be as simple as possible for the kids.  The admin,
support and teacher accounts will be password protected.

We're trying to find a way to default the system to a null password so
the admin doesn't have to set, lock, then force the password for each
user.  We've started looking into a PAM-based solution, but we're new at
this and PAM is a bit strange initially.  My understanding is that we
may have to set passwords for users, but, through PAM, allow them to
login without password authentication.  Interesting stuff, though.

Larry Mateo
Network Technician II
Fairfield-Suisun Unified School District
larrym fsusd k12 ca us

On Mon, 9 Dec 2002, Larry Mateo wrote:

>How does one allow a new user's default password to be zero
characters
>in length?

Just out of curiosity, why do you want a null password? That makes it
a public account, which is generally considered to be a problem.

The system tries to make it really hard to do this. You can run
"password <username>" as root and just hit the enter key twice. This
will create a "locked" account. You can then unlock it:

	passwd -u -f <username>

The "-u" means to unlock the account, the "-f" is a FORCE flag
required
by the fact that there is no password on the account.

After that the account will be accessible without a password.

-Eric