Re: [K12OSN] Boot terminals from HD?

On Wed, 2002-12-11 at 05:02, Bert Rolston wrote:
------------------->SNIP
> <SNIP>
> > So I will now be supporting 205 W2k and 50 W95 Desktops. The Lab will be dual
> > boot. It remains to be seen what will happen out in the classrooms.
>
> You poor thing.
>
> Do you know how to use MS policy editor?
>
> Does your school have an SMS server, or some other way to re-image
> machines quickly when Windows breaks?

No SMS. I have been using Ghost. We have a "lite" version that we
purchased 3 years ago  at one point I could multi-cast the image. I
added a patch 2 years ago and bang no more multi-cast.

Norton's answer:

"Oh you need to purchase the enterprise version"

I didn't need it when I first purchased it! Don't get me started on that
issue.

> How much MS system specific training do you have?

Self trained MCSE -- MSSQL Server 6.5, NT 4.0, Win9.x
Acquired before the plethora of Brian dumps, Exam Crams etc.

> I was looking after approx 100 W95/8 machines. The school only employed
> me for 30 hrs.
>
> That, plus adding users to the network on a regular basis, trying to fix
> broken machines as they came up, regularly upgrading the school admin
> software, updating anti-virus, lot of ad-hoc user support and most of
> the software we used.
>
> I never actually had time to automate some of the tasks!

You describe my week to a tee!

More later, off to the LUG Christmas party.

John