[K12OSN] A little progress...

Y'all,
    Since the 3c515 NIC wouldn't work in the old Compaq 486s, I tried
it in a Compaq P90. Finally, it gets pretty far through the boot
sequence. However, after doing its DHCPrequest, getting DHCPOFFER and
getting responses back and forth with the server several times, it
gives the following message:

mounting /proc
ERROR! Could not automatically detect the network card.
PCI cards should be detected automatically. ISA cards cannot be
detected,
so they require the NIC driver to be specified in a "NIC=" parameter
to be passed on the kernel command line, usually specified in
option-129, in the /etc/dhcpd.conf file.
Kernel panic

    I went into the etc/dhcpd.conf file and specified the "NIC=3c515",
which should be perfectly valid, on option-129. I even put in the mac
address of the client's NIC to be tied to a specific IP address for
host ws001. So why do I keep getting this message, and what do I do
about it?
    Perhaps it has something to do with another line in dhcpd.conf,
the one that says option option-128. It looks like a mac address also,
but it's the same for all the ws00x entries. Any ideas what that line
is supposed to say?
    Thanks,
Dave Prentice
prentice instruction com