Re: [K12OSN] Single User Login

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002 trelf13 yahoo com wrote:

> There's an option in /etc/security/limits.conf to limit the number of logins per user.
> Simply create a group of all your users (or perhaps * won't affect root?).
> Then in the limits.conf file add:
> @group      hard      maxlogins     1
>
> Unfortunately, it seems that while a value of 0 denies any login, a value of 1 permits 2
> simultaneous logins.  At least last time I experimented with it, it worked like that :)

Did you also add the required entry in /etc/pam.conf or in
its analogues in /etc/pam.d/ respecting the type of
authentication you are seeking to limit, to invoke
the limits checking?  It will not look through the limits
tests without it.

Also, the application in question has to be PAM enabled as
well, and also set to recognize the go/nogo return code
appropiately.

Compounding matters even further, what type of login did you
have in mind -- a console login, and an SSH login and an XDM
login each follow differing authetication rules?

from: /usr/share/doc/pam-0.75/txts/README.pam_limits
    USAGE:
        For the services you need resources limits (login for example) put a
        the following line in /etc/pam.conf as the last line for that
        service (usually after the pam_unix session line:

        login   session    required     /lib/security/pam_limits.so

-- Russ Herrold