Re: [K12OSN] A little progress...COMPAQ 486's

Dave,
I also have a whole hoard of those old Deskpro 486/66M machines around. They are built like tanks - never die.
BUT like you I cannot get them to work with LTSP and ISA network cards. I have tried a particular card in an AST 486DX2/66 where it works perfectly. Then with the dhcpd.conf and lts.conf files unchanged, I put that network card into the Compaq. NO GO!! So my conclusion is that the compaq does not let the nic driver load properly locally .... ???? - not sure if that assumption is correct.
The workstation boots ... finds the dhcp server, gets its IP address & boot file ... on till = = = = = = = = screen output = = = = = = modprobe 3c509 .. .. eth0: 3c509 at 0x300, 10basetT port, address 00 60 00 46 ef b6, IRQ10 3c509.c:1.18a 17Nov2001becker cyld com .. running dhclient
here it waits a LONG time ....
ERROR! no dhcpd-eth0.info file this usually indicates that the dhclient did not get a response from the DHSP server, or the NIC driver isn't working properly with the network card.
Kernel Panic!
= = = = = = = end of screen = = = = = The interesting point being that this card works perfectly in an AST 486 or in any P100 that I have with the current LTSP server. I am therefore assuming that the problem lies with the Compaq .... ????
greetings Joe Guenther
<><<><<><<><networkadministratorblackforestacademywww.bfacademy.com>>> Dave Prentice (prentice instruction com) 11-Dec-2002 01:16:00 >>> Y'all, Since the 3c515 NIC wouldn't work in the old Compaq 486s, I tried it in a Compaq P90. Finally, it gets pretty far through the boot sequence. However, after doing its DHCPrequest, getting DHCPOFFER and getting responses back and forth with the server several times, it gives the following message:
mounting /proc ERROR! Could not automatically detect the network card. PCI cards should be detected automatically. ISA cards cannot be detected, so they require the NIC driver to be specified in a "NIC=" parameter to be passed on the kernel command line, usually specified in option-129, in the /etc/dhcpd.conf file. Kernel panic
I went into the etc/dhcpd.conf file and specified the "NIC=3c515", which should be perfectly valid, on option-129. I even put in the mac address of the client's NIC to be tied to a specific IP address for host ws001. So why do I keep getting this message, and what do I do about it? Perhaps it has something to do with another line in dhcpd.conf, the one that says option option-128. It looks like a mac address also, but it's the same for all the ws00x entries. Any ideas what that line is supposed to say? Thanks, Dave Prentice prentice instruction com