Re: [K12OSN] A little progress...COMPAQ 486's

On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 09:35:03AM +0100, Joe Guenther wrote:
> Dave,
> I also have a whole hoard of those old Deskpro 486/66M machines around.
> They are built like tanks - never die.
> BUT like you I cannot get them to work with LTSP and ISA network cards.
>  I have tried a particular card in an AST 486DX2/66 where it works
> perfectly.  Then with the dhcpd.conf and lts.conf files unchanged, I
> put that network card into the Compaq.  NO GO!!
> The workstation boots ... finds the dhcp server, gets its IP address &
> boot file ... on till = = = = = = = = screen output = = = = = =
> modprobe 3c509 .. .. eth0: 3c509 at 0x300, 10basetT port, address 00 60
> 00 46 ef b6, IRQ10 3c509.c:1.18a 17Nov2001becker cyld com .. running
> dhclient
> here it waits a LONG time ....
> ERROR! no dhcpd-eth0.info file this usually indicates that the dhclient
> did not get a response from the DHSP server, or the NIC driver isn't
> working properly with the network card.
> Kernel Panic!
> = = = = = = = end of screen = = = = = The  interesting point being that
> this card works perfectly in an AST 486 or in any P100 that I have with
> the current LTSP server.  I am therefore assuming that the problem lies
> with the Compaq .... ????
> greetings Joe Guenther

Since the problem seems hard, why not try a strange solution :-)

Try with a kernel that have 3c509 complied in directely and not as a
module, that way dhclient will not be run, the client will get its ip
as kernel boot argument from etherboot instead. I have a kernel for
i486 with 3c509 complied in at:
http://sociologi.cjb.net/ltsp/vmlinuz_3c509 the config-filed used at
compilation is http://sociologi.cjb.net/ltsp/vmlinuz_3c509.cfg
(nfs-swap patch is enabled)

With this kernel, you don't need any boot time arguments in dhcpd.conf
This is all that is needed.

    host foo {
        hardware ethernet      [Macaddress];
        fixed-address          [IP to offer];
        filename              ["/path/to/kernel"];
    }

Good Luck!

--

Hans Ekbrand