Re: [K12OSN] XWindows Help

On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 06:15:26AM -0500, Todd O'Bryan wrote:
> That definitely didn't work. I'm sure I tried it.
>
> They're Cirrus Logic GD5436 chips with RealTek 8139 nics. They're up
> now...for a while at least, and I have backup copies of lts.conf
> everywhere.

Cirrus Logic GD5436 is supported (accelerated) by XF86_SVGA 3.3.6 and
Xfree86 4.1 and 4.2 by the "cirrus" driver.

There should thus be nothing to gain on using XF86_SVGA. (unless what
you are dealing with is a bug in the "cirrus" driver of X 4.x)

X 4.x should have no problems finding a proper modeline, it has lots
of standard modes built in. You should not need to supply a modeline
if you use X 4.x.

Modelines are used to get resolutions and refreshrates that can be
displayed by the monitor. So what is the (minimum and) maximum horizontal refresh
frequency of your monitor? And what is the (minimum and) maximum vertical refresh
frequency of your monitor? Use those to set X_HORZSYNC, and X_VERTREFRESH.

Here is two values that is extremely conservative. You will not be
able to get 800x600 with these, but they should work.

    X_HORZSYNC         = 29-33.5
    X_VERTREFRESH      = 55-70

But the only sane thing to do is to get the real monitor specs and use
those values. Most the model of the monitor and maybe we can help you.

Otherwise, you could get them by trial and error (set X_VERTREFRESH to
55-75, and X_HORZSYNC to, say, 40 -which is what is needed to get
800x600- and increase X_HORZSYNC until the monitor goes wild. It is
said to be dangerous for monitor, but I have never had any hardware
failures...)

--

Hans Ekbrand