From: Steve Langasek [mailto:vorlon dodds net]
Sent: Wednesday, December 11, 2002 10:50 AM
To: k12osn redhat com
Subject: Re: [K12OSN] CodeWeavers Release Server Version Of CrossOver

On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 10:32:20AM -0500, Steven Santos wrote:

> [quote]
> I think you missed the point. Because the Office licenses are
> per-machine, rather than per-user (as far as I know), 1 license of
> Office can be used to serve hundreds of clients with a fast enough
> machine. It's a pretty big loophole in their licensing, but due to the
> lack of multi-desktop remoting in Windows I guess they never thought
> any body would figure out how to exploit it. [/quote]

> My reading of my MSO2k / MSO97 licenses seems to support this
> position.
> What do others think about this?

If it's true that there are no provisions for this in the MS Office EULAs,
I'm surprised to hear it.  Anecdotal evidence suggests Microsoft has been
aware of the potential licensing pitfalls of thin clients for some time, and
that their newer licenses all protect against such end-runs by using "one
user, one computer" wording.  Maybe they weren't so careful after all...

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer