Re: [K12OSN] Time sensitive logins

On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 03:22:50PM -0600, Doug Simpson wrote:

> Is there an official way to allow or disallow logins on a server based
> on time of day?
> Not so much worried about anything except the samba logins.  Using RH7.3
> and samba 2.2.x (not sure of exact version at this time).

> I used the smbpasswd command in a cron job to enable and disable logins
> at times by running:

> smbpassed -e username
>
> to enable in the morning, and
>
> smbpasswd -d username
>
> to disable it in the afternoon.  This works OK for one user and maybe
> for several, but is there an 'official' way to do it?

Not for Samba 2.2.  The Samba 3.0 code will store enough account
information to support time-of-day access controls, but I don't know that
anyone is working yet on hooking those features into the authentication
system itself.  The other option is to set 'obey pam restrictions' in
smb.conf and use a PAM module that can perform this sort of lockout
(sorry, I know there is one, but don't remember its name right now).

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer