<OT> Re: [K12OSN] OpenOffice Defaults?

Hans Ekbrand wrote:

On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 11:48:40PM -0800, Shahms E. King wrote:

OpenOffice is particularly bad wrt units.  It not only defaults to the
metric system,

Well, the metric system IS the SI (scientific) standard for measurements in distances, so why should it not?

be nice.. 8-)

AIUI, SI is french - 'systeme internationale' (sp?) It is not a standard as such, or even *the* standard. Just a method.

being on the other side of the planet, an all.. I *thought* the US was considering SI... <shrug> just my perception on that..

Little ol' NZ converted to SI 20+ years back, and I went through school with the legacy us/imp system popping up from time to time. It was a struggle to keep it all SI, but now life is so much simpler coz of it. Everything is multiples of 10,100,1000 instead of 12..

When I got my pilots' license, I had to learn about the distance measurement "nautical miles". It was something to do with ease of calculation coz of the lines on a map.. <shrug> might as well have been 'pounds of pig fat' to me. (I don't fly much these days..) 1 meter is 'bout as long as yer arm, 1km is a thousand of them.

now things would be *really* simple if we converted to metric time - one day = 1.0 one year = 1000.0 and everything in between was point something of it. 8-))

seeyas, Steve