Re: [K12OSN] K12 LTSP Clients on Multiple Subnets?

Heath Henderson wrote:

Hello all, long-time listener first time poster.

Just set up K12LTSP on a machine here at school.  Had version 2.0 for a
while and decided the to-do pile was just in the right place to give it a
try.  So.

I have it working on a single subnet, but I would like to try it from a WAN
point on another Subnet.  What is the trick or files do I need to modify to
allow another subnet to work in addition to my current subnet?

Current Subnet is 10.1.1.x Working as of now.  DHCP is provided by the
server to this subnet.

Remote Subnet is 10.4.12.x I have it connecting to the server but can't get
it to actually load the kernel.  It tells me it doesn't have permission.  I
figure there is something I have not exported for this to correctly work.

Welcome, Heath.

In the file /etc/hosts.allow you will need to add or change the following to include the subnets you want ;

bootpd:    0.0.0.0
in.tftpd:  192.168.0.
portmap:   192.168.0.
ALL:       192.168.0.

and then restart xinetd, like this ;

First, switch user to root ;

[steve linuxathome steve]$ su -
Password:

and find the PID of xinetd

[root linuxathome root]# ps ax | grep xinetd
3465 ? S 0:00 xinetd -stayalive -reuse -pidfile /var/run/xinetd.pid
4788 pts/1 R 0:00 grep xinetd

and then tell xinetd to re-read its' config files by sending it the HUP (hang-up) signal, like this ;

[root linuxathome root]# kill -HUP 3465

and then have a look at the logs to see if it all went smoothly, like this ;

[root linuxathome root]# tail /var/log/messages
Dec 13 11:14:32 linuxathome su(pam_unix)[4735]: session opened for user root by steve(uid=500)
Dec 13 11:15:00 linuxathome xinetd[3465]: Starting reconfiguration
Dec 13 11:15:01 linuxathome xinetd[3465]: readjusting service imap
Dec 13 11:15:01 linuxathome xinetd[3465]: readjusting service sgi_fam
Dec 13 11:15:02 linuxathome xinetd[3465]: readjusting service tftp
Dec 13 11:15:02 linuxathome xinetd[3465]: readjusting service ftp
Dec 13 11:15:02 linuxathome xinetd[3465]: Reconfigured: new=0 old=4 dropped=0 (services)
[root linuxathome root]# exit

*Remember* to drop out of superuser, with the `exit` command *before* you do anything else, since it is very easy to break something as root.

If there were any errors, you will need to correct the changes you have made, and then try the HUP again.

There is bound to be lots more to adjust, so let us know what the next error is, and we can assist further.

all the best, Steve