[K12OSN] RE: Using IBM Netvistas, et al for thin clients

Hi Joe,

I bought a IBM 8363 thin client to play with.  It uses the x86 compatible
Geode chip.  I think the 8362 were PPC chips?? (can't remember).  It seems
to me using PPC may be more difficult than x86.

My experience so far with the 8363 is that it doesn't work out of the box.
:-)

Here's a HOWTO that may be helpful.
http://howtos.linuxbroker.com/howtoreader.shtml?file=NC-HOWTO.html

I'm going to try two more things;
1) create boot rom from rom-o-matic and try to "point" the thin client to
that image for booting with BOOTP
2) create boot rom from rom-o-matic and put it on a flash card and have the
thin client boot from flash.

If I can get it to boot and run, it will be interesting to see if I can get
sound to go.

Sorry, I'm not really much help.  But I thought I'd share my (limited)
experience since I've not seen a lot of traffic here on using IBM thin
clients.

Dale