Re: [K12OSN] Boot terminals from HD?

Is it possible to boot the terminals from the hard drive rather than
floppy?

For WinNT/2000/XP you should use a nic with PXE or Etherboot rom. Etherboot must be configured with a long enough timeout (ASK_BOOT, default 3 secs!). With ANS_DEFAULT you can also set the default to local boot if necessary. Afaik there is no way to add Etherboot to the WinNT boot menu, using Lilo or Grub instead would be too complicated imho.

I run a lab that is being used for the software survey course in the physics department at Idaho State University, and they have a huge variety of windows/dos software, some of which I haven't had much luck with on K12LTSP with WINE. I think that from the variety and frequency of these software requests, I will be stuck running some form of windows.

Consequently, I found myself looking for options to boot from the hard disk with Win2000, and quickly I got lost. I think you are right about it being complicated.

I'm new to working with bootroms, so forgive this question but do I need blank ROMs and some type of rom burner, or is it possible to flash them from the PC?

I think from my googling that you can also buy pre-burned roms. Is this true? Can anyone recommend a good source of roms for Intel eepro100+ cards? (mine have the socket, but no chip in it)

I currently use etherboot floppies for my lab, but I am looking for a better way to boot.
I'm not opposed to spending any money, but less is certainly better. .

Thanks, Ben Nickell -- Systems Administrator -- Idaho State University Technology Coordinator-- Pocatello Community Charter School