[K12OSN] Samba PDC vs. XP machine accounts

There was a bug/exploit in Samba recently that caused many distributions to
release updates.

I updated some Mandrake 8.x PDC's accordingly.  Found out over the course
of the last two days that the normally ultra-easy procedure of joining XP
Pro machines to the PDC's was not happening--neither manually nor with the
automagic reg hack + smb.conf line:

add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g machines -c 'Machine
Account' -s /bin/false -M %u

They just wouldn't play nice, while boxes previously joined (before the
Samba upgrade) were/are working perfectly.

Anyway, my fix (finally) was to uninstall the latest samba packages and
install the originals.  Then everything worked as it should.  (This is
under Mandrake, I don't know--despite two days of google searches, etc.--if
any other distro is having this issue or if there is a resolution.)

If anyone comes across a fix for this (besides telling me to "switch the XP
boxes to Linux"--I wish, but it's not my call...), please let me know.

Thanks,

James Jensen