Re: [K12OSN] runaway artsd

On Fri, 13 Dec 2002, Calvin Dodge wrote:

>We're using the most recent non-beta K12LTSP distro on a Tyan S2460 with two AMD 1500 MP CPUs and 1 gig of RAM.
>
>We've been encountering runawy artsd processes, which typically gobble up all available RAM (real and virtual).  This results in a) server reboots to regain control, or b) occasionally successful attempts to kill of the errant artsd process WHEN we can actually log into the system.
>
>I believe I've cobbled together a makeshift fix (using ulimit), but I'd like to know if anyone else has had this problem. Anyone?  Anyone?  (Bueller?)
>
>Calvin

None of my KDE-using schools have reported runaway artsd processes.

If you are running the latest-n-greatest v2.1.x release, it should have
verynice installed. Add this line to /etc/verynice.conf might help keep
the server from falling over dead:

	runawayexe "artsd"

That doesn't fix the problem, but it might keep it from being deadly.

-Eric