Re: [K12OSN] sourceforge thin-client project

David Trask wrote:

Trying to make sure I understand all of this PXES stuff.  My understanding
is that it might be good in an environment where you have an M$ Terminal
Server and wish to build inexpensive clients or leverage what you already
have and turn them into clients.  It seems to be an alternative to Citrix.
Can anyone else comment?  Am I on the right track or am I missing
something?

It will connect to any and all Terminal Servers, K12LTSP included. The network services for DHCP and TFTP is still required, but it is not relevant what platform provides them.

PXES seems to be a very tidy, very complete Terminal Package (not Server System). No part of PXES provides any applications whatsoever. It is not a Server, it is used to connect to a Server.

What I like about PXES ;

It is a very complete solution, able to connect to any sort of thin-client service whatsoever.

PXES will handle etherboot'ed legacy terminals, despite its' name.

It has a very nice configuration utility, which the LTSP package does not have, and we could really do with this.

PXES can run without any Linux Server when necessary (it does need *some* type of server to provide DHCP/TFTP) suitable for those who would like a more generic thin-client environment. For terminal-clients with enough RAM *this frees the terminal from the NFS mount /opt/ltsp/i386. That is, once the terminal is booted, it is then entirely clear of the network, and all network communications are session-related only.* This is in contrast to the LTSP situation which requires the LTSP Server to be functioning at all times.

PXES will comfortably connect to any and all Terminal Servers on the market, including K12LTSP, but it is not a full system package like K12LTSP, and therefore probably not suited for non-technical users unless the installation was suitably abstracted, vis K12LTSP.

In summary, parts of PXES, particularly the Terminal Configuration Software, and the remote system-image may be of use to those inclined to develop an Configuration Utility for K12LTSP, as is the ethic of sharing code with the GNU Public License.

/*/

Having re-read my composed email a number of times, it seems there is an opportunity to simplify, or abstract K12LTSP into seperate projects.

1.) *Thin-Client Services for Linux.* This might include any and all software to boot and set preferences for the terminals, entirely seperate from the Servers that provide the Application Environment. That project would be free to concentrate on issues such as increasing the capability of the network as a whole by focussing on issues relevant to that, such as load-balancing.

2.) *An install-time customisable Software Distribution-Set for Schools*, of which there is already a large selection. A feature of that project would be "plug-and-play compatibility with Thin-Client Services for Linux."

3.) *A dedicated wine/crossover/win-apps Server* that provides win-apps service for the network.

4.) *A dedicated firewall applicance,* of which there is plenty to choose from, vis IPCop, SME.

This sounds like a lot of hardware, but in reality, only boxes 2 & 3 need to be server-class machines, and if the sysadmin chose, either of those two could be excluded, depending of their requirements.

/*/

Food for thought..

seasons greetings to all!

kind regards,