Re: [K12OSN] home folders on Windows XP

Kevin Squire wrote:

> I figure a short into is in need first --
>
> I have been using Linux now for over 3 years as my personal desktop machine.  During this time I have worked for 3 schools, 2 Windows based and 1 Mac based.  When I first started using Linux, I learned about the K12LTSP and have been wanting to impement it, just looking for the right time and environment.
>
> I have recently (finally) installed a K12LTS for a small lab in my classroom.  With a little help from the local LUG, I am using it as a demonstration of the power and benefit of Linux.  The IT director and myself also want to do some "beta" testing with students and teachers before impementing it on a full scale.
>
> The problem I have run into is that all the student and teacher "My Documents" folders reside on a central WinXP server, and I need to mount them to the Linux /home/USERNAME/ folder.  This of course needs to be done at the time of login, using the student/teachers login name and password.  I want it to be as seamless as possible.

I have a set of shell scripts that I call gdm-mount that I use for
precisely this purpose (except the servers are win2K). The caveat is
that the ltsp clients must use gdm as that is the only display manager
in which I've found pre/post logon hooks that can be utilized for this
purpose. You can still use the KDE (or any other) desktop but the kdm
manager doesn't appear to have hooks by which to accomplish the same
thing - or at least I can't find them.

There's a small blurb about how the scripts work at the URL below. In
short though (because I just realized the web page doesn't actually say
this), you install the scripts on the ltsp server. It utilizes hidden
files in each students ltsp home directory to control the mounting of
smb resources on any accessible server. It currently requires the
inconvenience of touching each students files to set up credentials and
the mount information itself although if the mount information will be
universal for all logons you can edit that file after unpacking the tar
archive but before you run the install script and at least that part
will be correct at installation.

Anyway, here's the link. I hope it helps.

http://scnc.lsd.k12.mi.us/~mrambo/gdm-mount.html

--
Mike Rambo
mrambo lsd k12 mi us