Re: [K12OSN] Re: sourceforge thin-client project

Steven Santos wrote:

So people want K12LTSP to become an integrated toolbox rather than a single
distribution.  I like it.  It's an approach to Linux that seems to be the
obvious next step in the evolutionary process.  If it works it will change a lot
of things in the Linux community.  I do not know of any project that has even
seriously attempted this, let alone made it work.  But if any group could pull
it off, its this one.

Goodness.. I didn't think it was *that* 'cutting edge' - I just thought is was a good idea. 8-)
I don't know if 'people' want it, again - it just sounded right.

Thus far the tools/sub project that have been proposed seem to be:

ooop! Awesome list of stuff! Maybe we should send it all to RedHat ?? That would make them scratch their head..

The trick would be to select the parts that fit together, either by functionality, or ease of installation. ie..

If the system was modular ;

An apps server would run without TCSL (thin client services for Linux).. or..

TCSL would provide a minimal desktop system with very few apps
The squidGuard box (or service on an existing box) would check to see what 'group' the user is added to, and therefore grant access to that class of user (heh, I got this working!)

The point being, "build whatever type of system you need from modules."

Smaller Schools, or single stand-alone Lab installations can simply install the Terminal Server, as they do now. Larger Networks, or those networks who would plan to grow larger, can install the base TCSL with LDAP centralised auth/admin, add a OpenOffice dedicated server, a mozilla mail/browser dedicated server, and maybe a dedicated winapps box - in their own time, as they require it, as funds are available, as suits their migration path, as their server-load grows.

WAN services:

many of these services could be grouped on the TCSL box, and indeed clustered with OpenMosix. As I understand it, om works well for a bunch of smaller processes, and not so well, for the monoliths, vis oo and mozilla. So, we group the admin-type functions vis LDAP/auth/TFTP/DHCP et al, and provide seperate servers for the non-migrating apps.

It seems to me, that initially the TCSL box can provide nearly everything initally, and then `rexec` other servers as they are added, by doing ;

# mv /usr/bin/mozilla /usr/bin/mozilla.disable
# cat > /usr/bin/mozilla
#!/bin/bash
rexec -l $USER -p password  mozbox mozilla $1

#

...and so on.

Did I miss anything?

It doesn't look like it.. 8-) However, would Contributors quote, add to, and/or modify Steven Santos' list directly, rather than here. (trimmed for readability.. after some deliberation.)

Thanks greatly for your enthusiasm.

cheers All, Steve