Server RAM is much cheaper than buying new workstations.

Jim Hays, Technology Director
Monticello CUSD#25
#2 Sage Drive
Monticello, IL  61856
haysja sages us
Phone - 217-762-8511 ext 208
E-Fax - 1-240-201-6257

-----Original Message-----
From: k12osn-admin redhat com [mailto:k12osn-admin redhat com] On Behalf
Of Jared Irby
Sent: Tuesday, December 17, 2002 3:35 PM
To: k12osn
Subject: [K12OSN] Server Specs

Just got the ok to setup a lab running k12LTSP.  I did a little
demonstration and showed how our OLD computers could run a nice looking
OS and be very cheap.  I don't have a big budget but heres what I'm
thinking:
   Main Server
      Dual P3 1 ghz, 1.5 gig sdram, (2) 18 gig  SCSI 10k (55mbps), Dual
Nics, Adapdect 29160 SCSI card......  Is this server config any good?
 Its gonna be holding about 20 computers in the lab and up to 10 others
around campus for now.

  File/Print/Web/Filter/Router/Backup yada yada yada
      This  is gonna do pretty much everything except GUI apps. Its
gonna run squidgaurd and have a firewall. Be a little print server. And
also be the file and password server for everyones home files.  Its
gonna be between all the computers in the school (windows computers too)

and the dsl modem.  For this one I am thinking a AMD xp 1700+ 128 mb ram

and 100 gb hard drive for now and dual nics.. How does this one sound.

All this for about $2300. Oh and thats also a nice little 24port switch
and shipping.  Am I doing the right thing?  Comments grately
appriceated!

Jared