[K12OSN] Re: sourceforge thin-client project

> Goodness..  I didn't think it was *that* 'cutting edge' - I just thought
> is was a good idea.  8-) I don't know if 'people' want it, again - it just
sounded right.

Its something I have been thinking about for a few years, but its not something
I have the skill to do myself.  I'm just not this good with Linux (yet).

> >Thus far the tools/sub project that have been proposed seem to be:
>
> ooop!  Awesome list of stuff!   Maybe we should send it all
> to RedHat ??
>   That would make them scratch their head..

Would likely end up in a round receptacle unless a proof of concept was done for
them.

> The trick would be to select the parts that fit together, either by
> functionality, or ease of installation. ie..

This is done all the time, and would not be hard for us to do.  The real trick
would be having the installs default to an intergraded and secured state.  What
I mean by that is after you select the options you want, having the install
program find the PDC/LDAP server (and others it needs to work), and utilize them
out of the box with some intelligence.  Having the terminal servers find and use
the mail server, firewall and print server using the information in the LDAP
database.  If it does not find an LDAP server, firewall, or print server, or
boot server (etc) then select them by default.  Same for OM.  If the PDC is
installed as an OM system, then the other servers would default to that as well,
otherwise it would be selectable during install.

> If the system was modular ;

Would have to be :)

> An apps server would run without TCSL (thin client services for Linux)..
>   or..
> TCSL would provide a minimal desktop system with very few apps
>
> The squidGuard box (or service on an existing box) would check to see
> what 'group' the user is added to, and therefore grant access to that
> class of user (heh, I got this working!)
>
> The point being, "build whatever type of system you need from
> modules."

Yes and no.  This is great for those that have a good idea of what's going on,
but less helpful to those who would most benefit from this type of setup.  We
would have to (1) define presets for the most common server setups, and (2) have
each subsequent install system pull a relevant information from previously
installed LDAP server.  For example if the first system installed in a school is
a dual NIC stand alone K12LTSP system it will install a firewall, print server
and an LDAP server/PDC as part of it.  Additional instillations on the network
will be able to use data from the LDAP server on the first system for many of
its defaults.   As a system grows, they may choose to install a dedicated
PDC/LDAP server.  In that case this dedicated server would pull all of the
information from the existing server, adding machine and user accounts
automagically.  The LDAP/PDC on the original K12LTSP server could then be
removed, joining the new PDC/LDAP server.

> Smaller Schools, or single stand-alone Lab installations can simply install
> the Terminal Server, as they do now.  Larger Networks, or those
> networks who would plan to grow larger, can install the base TCSL with
> LDAP centralized auth/admin, add a OpenOffice dedicated server, a
> mozilla mail/browser dedicated server, and maybe a dedicated winapps box
> - in their own time, as they require it, as funds are available, as
> suits their migration path, as their server-load grows.

I agree %100.

> many of these services could be grouped on the TCSL box, and indeed
> clustered with OpenMosix.  As I understand it, om works well for a bunch
> of smaller processes, and not so well, for the monoliths, vis oo and
> mozilla.  So, we group the admin-type functions vis LDAP/auth/TFTP/DHCP
> et al, and provide seperate servers for the non-migrating apps.

Seams reasonable to me.

Steven Santos

Email : Steven StevenSantos com
Web   : www.stevensantos.com