Re: [K12OSN] LTSP on win98 boot menu - Now LTSP on W2K boot menu

On Tue, 2002-12-17 at 15:55, John Baillie wrote:
snip------------>

> I tried pointing it to c:\ltsp_tlp.com to no avail
> also tried a:\ltsp_tlp.com
>
> Went to technet and found instructions for setting up dual boot to dos
> after W2K has been installed.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q153762
>
> I'm at home now so can't try but maybe the answer is to as they say in
> the article:
> 	Sys the boot drive to MS-DOS by typing the following command at 	a
> command prompt:
> 	a:\>sys c:
>
>snip------------------>

This is irking me so I reinstalled a HD that had W2K on it here at home.
It's been a year since that HD had any juice to and It took me a while
to remember the admin password, actually my wife remembered it ;-)

Back to business
The "sys-ing" c: did not help but I noticed via notification of the
virus program that 4 files were modified:

winstart.bat
autoexec.bat
config.sys
dosstart.bat

Not sure what help if any this is.

Then I came across this on annoyances.org:

"Autoexec.bat AND config.sys are not used in NT based systems (such as
2000).  Instead,
a DOS emulation program (ntvdm.exe) runs.  It creates the DOS
environment using autoexec.nt
and config.nt in your Windows\System32 directory.  (or winnt\system32,
or whatever)."

I'm starting to think that a very small install of Linux on a partition
might be the best answer here.

John