From: Steve Wright <paua quicksilver net nz>
To: k12osn redhat com
Subject: Re: [K12OSN] accessing apache
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 14:51:09 +1300

Erfan Zahra'i wrote:

Hi,
My terminal server is connected to the main school Lan with a static IP address.

What I would like to do is to allow users using the main lan to access the webpages hosted on the terminal server.
Currently the webpages are only accessible within ltsp workstations and my firewall is set to meduim.

First, make a backup copy of the file /etc/sysconfig/ipchains,

and then add a line like this ;

-A input -s 0/0 -d 0/0 80 -p tcp -j ACCEPT

and then `service ipchains restart`. The `service ipchains restart` command will give an error if you have made a mistake with your modifications.

This means, Add rule to the firewall ruleset, ACCEPTing data from 0/0 (anywhere) to destination 0/0 port 80 (anywhere, but only http port 80) for protocol TCP.

One caveat - fooling with ipchains can wreck your firewall and leave you unprotected, particularly if this server is directly open to the internet.

HTH,
Steve