Re: [K12OSN] Re:thin client newbie

dale quigg aspentech com wrote:

> Hi Nicholas,
>
> I bought one of these for US$104 because I thought they would be an ideal
> thin client.  Geode x86 CPU, no fans, includes keyboard and mouse.
>
> However, I'm about ready to give it away :-(
>
> I too am a k12ltsp newbie and these thin clients to not work "out of the
> box".
>
> I'm trying to use rom-o-matic to create a boot rom image, but I have not
> been able to determine the Ethernet chipset on the N2200 8683.

The company I work for has used the Geode in a product we developed
(unrelated to LTSP).  My job was to make it run linux (which was a great
assignment).  Before we started, we bought an evaluation board from
National Semiconductor, who makes the Geode.  Since the eval board had
an Intel 82558 ethernet chip on it, our design team decided that we
should use that same chip on our card to minimize risk.

I know this is grasping at straws, but perhaps the company that designed
your thin client used the same ethernet chip selection strategy that we
did.  If so, you could try the eepro100 driver.

The other thing to do is open up the box and look for any chip you might
think could be the ethernet controller.  It will likely be located near
the ethernet transformer, which would be a device about 1" long, 1/4"
wide, and 1/4" tall.
Then post the part numbers.

jthomas bittware com  http://www.bittware.com          (703) 779-7770
In theory, theory and practice are the same, but in practice, they're
not