Re: [K12OSN] Thoughts for my upgrade...

Steve Wright wrote:

> I do agree with your sentiments about a simplified upgrade procedure,
> but I am thinking that to modify binaries and libs for a running machine
> would be fatal to it almost instantly, even if you could get past the
> locked (in-use) files.
>
> A solution would be to reboot the server as a 'special-case' LTSP
> Terminal, with its' root filesystem unmounted, mount / RW, make your
> changes/upgrade and reboot it back into service as a Terminal Server.  I
> am quite sure this could all be scripted from the 'Master' Server, and
> would make a valuable addition to automating larger LTSP installations.

What about installing a local version of up2date?  I've never used this
feature of RH, but it seems to me that the master server could be used
as a repository for upgrades, and the slave servers could upgrade
themselves automatically.

jthomas bittware com  http://www.bittware.com          (703) 779-7770
Air conditioning may have destroyed the ozone layer - but it's been
worth it!