[K12OSN] Gnome desktop and panel lockdown.

Red Hat Linux release 7.3 (Valhalla) [/etc/redhat-release]
Kernel: 2.4.18-3smp [uname -r]
Gnome: 2.?
Nautilus: 1.0.6 [Help; About Nautilus]

I have configured a gnome desktop and panel that is to be used by
elementary school students.  Their desktop consists of icons for the
applications to be used.  The panel has the clock, the tasklist, and the
logoff icon.  We do not want the students to be able to change the
desktop, panel or background.  Additionally, we do not want them to be
able to open any menus that allow them to run applications, utilities,
etc.  I have removed the option at logoff to "Save current setup."

Current issues:

1. Right-clicking on the desktop opens a floating menu (New Window, New
Folder, New Terminal, Clean Up by Name, Cut Files, Copy Files, Paste
Files, Disks, Reset Desktop Background, Change Desktop Background).  I
would like to disable this menu from appearing.

2. Right-clicking on the panel opens a floating menu (Start Here,
Programs, Favorites, Applets, KDE menus, Run..., Panel, Lock screen, Log
out).  I would like to disable this menu from appearing.

3. I am sure that there are short-cut keys that I'm unaware of that
provides access to menus and apps.  I would like to disable them, too.

Suggestions on how to do the above?  Thanks.

Also: How does one determine the version of gnome?

Larry Mateo
Network Technician II
Fairfield-Suisun Unified School District
larrym fsusd k12 ca us