Re: [K12OSN] Firewall

John Pilmore wrote:

Can anybody help me with a firewalling question? After setting up a couple of K12LTSP servers in my district, I decided to see what else I could do and where else I can save money. 3 Linux Proxy servers and a mail server later, I tried to set up a firewall machine. Here's the problem, I install Redhat 8.0 on a PIII with 2 3COM NICS. I finish the installation, follow the IPTables Howto at the Redhat site. and it still does not work. I can ping bothe network cards from the private side othe the box and webmin in to either NIC. I think I have all the configurations for firewalling set up but think I might be missing something with routing from one card to the other.

Anybody have any ideas?

An alternative - use a ready-made firewall distro such as IPCop or SME. There are plenty of others too, but I believe these two best suit the needs of K12LTSP networks.

These 'Firewall Appliances' work out-of-the-box, with a very nice web interface etc.

regards,
Steve