Re: [K12OSN] BOCHS 2.0 Released

BOCHS is an x86 PC emulator, it emulates a machine on your windows or unix
(Linux) system.  You install the OS & applications of your choice in the
emulated machine--similar to VMware only GPL.

WINE is a set of Win 32/16 APIs for Unix that allows you (in theory) to run
Windows applications directly from you *nix (Linux) operating system.

Both definitely have advantages & disadvantages.

You should be able to run BOCHS from an LTSP client, and I was going to
play around with that today but I reloaded K12LTSP 2.1.2 and applied all
the RH updates and now BOCHS is not working.  (I couldn't get BOCHS 2.0
running on it last night in the first place--RH was missing some library
files that 2.0 wanted--but BOCHS 1.4.1 was working fine.  Now neither are
working.  Go figure...)

I don't see a general mailing list for BOCHS, sorry.

I have the Windows version of BOCHS 2.0 so I will give that a go this
evening or tommorrow.  It's a total pain that 2.0 won't load for RH 7.3.
I'm sure that "problem" won't last long.

As a testbed I can see potential for BOCHS, but when 1.4.1 was running last
night it was sluggish (running on a 450MHZ system w/ ~384MB RAM--old--2.0
is supposedly twice as fast at 1.4.1.  That I would like to see.)  At any
rate I don't know how useful it would end up being for LTSP clients, but
who knows?  Something for the Win4Lin/VMware crowd to consider I suppose...

James Jensen