Re: [K12OSN] K12LTSP IP range

Attached is some email from a while back about moving the IP range from the default 192.168.0 to another range.

I'm moving our new!!! 3.0 beta and will document and post. I will do the same that I did for the previous release of k12ltsp https://listman.redhat.com/pipermail/k12osn/2002-August/002884.html

Did anyone come up with a tool? It's not that 'hard' for a simple setup like I have, but a tool would make sure I did it right. I would be willing to make a tool if I got some input. I'm still out of time but it should be a short term project... :-)

Gary

Gary Frederick wrote:
I think the project is a good idea.

Here's my current thinking, as a potential goal of the next major release of K12LTSP:

1) Default to the current two-NIC, 192.168.0.0/24 config.
2) If the IP range is changed during the install, alter the config files
to match that config. 3) If there is only one NIC, assume a single-NIC installation and jump
to a new install screen that asks all of the questions necessary to
make a single-NIC install to work. [ pure theory here, I'm pretty sure
this is possible but it could be much harder than I'm currently guessing ]
4) If you want to alter the IP ranges after you've done the install, you will have to do so manually, following the HOWTOs.

I don't think it would be hard to come up with some help for item 4. The HOWTO can show how to manually change and how to use the tool. The tool would probably be useful for those folks that have several servers and need to set up several IP ranges.

I'll help. I'm out of time, but I did ask the original question so ... ;-)

My admin skills are not that great, my programming skills are better. I know a lot of XML stuff
and if you want a distributed solution that spans several systems and uses all sorts of software... well that would probably not be the way to go. nevermind. :-)

Gary