Re: [K12OSN] Firewall

On Mon, 2002-12-23 at 11:43, John Pilmore wrote:
> Can anybody help me with a firewalling question? After setting up a couple of K12LTSP servers in my district, I decided to see what else I could do and where else I can save money. 3 Linux Proxy servers and a mail server later, I tried to set up a firewall machine. Here's the problem, I install Redhat 8.0 on a PIII with 2 3COM NICS. I finish the installation, follow the IPTables Howto at the Redhat site. and it still does not work. I can ping bothe network cards from the private side othe the box and webmin in to either NIC. I think I have all the configurations for firewalling set up but think I might be missing something with routing from one card to the other.
> Anybody have any ideas?

 I may be completely wrong, but:

I'm assuming you can't get outside traffic.
Can you ping your outside interfaces gateway address.  That must be set
for internal traffic to "find it's way".

You may also try using
www.smoothwall.org
www.mandrake.com, for SNF
www.netmmax.com, a proprietary product, but cheap.

 I have used the first and last products many times.  Very easy to setup
and use.

I hope any off this helps!

Chris  Curtis