[K12OSN] Problems booting a 486DX4-100

Hi!

I'm having problems booting an old 486DX4-100 with 16Mb RAM.

I've put a RTL8139C networkcard into it, got an boot-floppy from
rom-o-matic, and can get it to load the system, but it fails when
running dhclient with this message:
---start---
Running dhclient
eth0: Setting half-duplex based on auto-negotiated partner ability
0000.
NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
---long-delay---
eth0: Setting half-duplex based on auto-negotiated partner ability

ERROR!	No dhcpd-eth0.info file.

Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!
---end---

The client is setup to use a fixed IP, witch it displays ok during the
boot sequence.
a /sbin/arp eth0 on the server finds the ip, but the hardware address
displays <incomplete>

Anybody with a hint in the right direction?

TIA

--
Venlig hilsen / Best regards
	Henning