RE: [K12OSN] login question

On Fri, 27 Dec 2002, Aaron Leininger wrote:

> Sounds intriguing but I wouldn't even know where to begin. Doesn't a linux
> OS require that some user is logged in in order to authenticate file use?

It depends on what you mean by "logged in".  Yes, you have to be
identified as a particular user, buy that doesn't necessarily mean going
through a login screen.  For example, I have a project which babsically
turns old laptops into serial terminals.  It just boots Linux and runs
minicom as root.  Since processes spawned from init are run by root by
default anyway, this is simple - no login or anything, it just boots into
the application.

Let me know if you have further questions on this.

Jon